Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Hearts, Minds, Mouths and Hands

I've been very displeased lately with the way my children talk to each other.  I am certain it is "normal" but it doesn't make me very happy to hear them so unkind to one another.  Especially as I know they are all really kind-hearted children.
Yesterday I started our morning with some bible reading/discussion time over the following verses:
  1. Philippians 4:8

    Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
  2. Ephesians 6:10-17

    10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 
  3. 2 Corinthians 10:1-6

    By the humility and gentleness of Christ, I appeal to you—I, Paul, who am “timid” when face to face with you, but “bold” toward you when away! I beg you that when I come I may not have to be as bold as I expect to be toward some people who think that we live by the standards of this world. For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. And we will be ready to punish every act of disobedience, once your obedience is complete. 

    And this quote

    "Be Careful what you think... your thoughts become your words... your words become your actions... your actions become your habits... your habits become your character... your character is everything"

    We discussed all these things in the context of taking our thoughts captive, learning to control our thoughts in the spiritual battle that is within us.  We discussed being called to stop our wrong thinking and not indulge ourselves in it.  The kids themselves brought up the Armor of God, able to explain most of it, and it tickled me that the verse I wanted to tell them next (Ephesians 6:12) was located just prior to the Armor of God that they were quoting to me as we discussed spiritual battle.

    I think they got some good information.  I told them that I would expect them to and hold them accountable for learning to control their tongues and thoughts.  They seemed to really understand how our thoughts spill out into our character.

    My question:  How often do I remember this?  Am I the only momma guilty of teaching a lesson that I realize perhaps was more meant for me than for my kids?


    I'm linking this to Raising Homemakers.  Check out other blogs to help encourage you in raising your children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holiday World 2011!

Holiday World 2011!

Baby # 6

Baby # 6
Welcome to the world and welcome to our crazy family!

Fort Benning

Fort Benning
We finally made it to Georgia!!!


Just a day at the park!

Just a day at the park!

My Hero!

My Hero!
I don't do dead things. Fortunately for me, God gave me boys!

Much awaited 2009 PJs from Daddy!

Much awaited 2009 PJs from Daddy!
Daddy and Grandma make Jammies every year for the kids, They love it!

Christmas in PJs

Christmas in PJs
Don't I just have the cutest kids?

2010 Jammies

2010 Jammies
Once again Daddy pulled it off. They look cute!

Round 2 birthday parties

Round 2 birthday parties
Cake number 1 of 3 done. I am so not an artist, but I think it came out pretty well!

My Girls

My Girls
Borrowed dance clothes, my girls sure look cute.

Couped up

Couped up
More images below showing the children feeling a bit "couped up" from the long winter!

Chickens: Take 2

Chickens: Take 2
Cute chicks!

The robot cake. I am glad my kids' standards aren't as high as mine!

Tree Climbers

Tree Climbers

Summer Fun!

Summer Fun!
Hi Daddy! Hope you are having fun at work!


This one is so bad, I had to label the cake so you would know it's not a cow!

Dressed for Church!

Dressed for Church!
Come as your favorite Bible character night!

Too cute for words!

If the boy wasn't so tall, I could get a picture of his face!


Establishing the pecking order!

Babies!