Saturday, October 22, 2011

Homemade McGriddles Sandwiches

My kids love the McGriddles from McDonalds.  I don't love paying that much money times 5 (just for the kids) for breakfast.  So I began wondering how to make them at home.  I searched the internet, found many helpful recipes, and a few not-so helpful ones.  I refuse to go buy specialty stuff that I won't use for anything else, so maple crystals were out of the question.

After perusing recipes on the internet, I did what I always do and made up my own. Here is my first attempt at homemade McGriddles.

Here is what you will need:
Ingredients for your favorite pancake recipe
Breakfast syrup
Bacon or sausage
Eggs
Cheese of choice

I am not including quantities as I figure you can decide how much bacon or how many eggs your family will eat.  I have a large family, our quantities may differ from yours.

I started with a basic pancake recipe.  My favorite is this one from Allrecipes but I didn't have vinegar so I used an older one from my Betty Crocker cookbook.

After preparing the recipe, I put a small amount on the griddle.  I actually had rather large ones, keep in mind it might spread, I recommend going slightly smaller than you think you will want.  I only put four on my griddle so that I could have time for the second step:  syrup.

I put about a tablespoon of syrup on top of the pancake batter and swirled it around, then used a fork to "mix" it lightly in.  There was not quite as much syrup as I would have liked in the first batch, so when I made a few extras for the kids to munch on I put an extra dab of syrup on top after the syrup that I mixed in.

I cooked the pancakes as normal and made bacon and eggs, and shredded cheddar cheese.  I allowed the kids to choose whether they had eggs and cheese, but all wanted the bacon, of course!

They were a little sticky, but not too bad.  They were quite yummy and very filling.  I didn't get any pictures because we were all too hungry and anxious to try them.  When I make them again, I will try to get some pictures to go with it.  Happy Eating!

(The kids have requested these as a before church breakfast.  I am going to try precooking the pancakes and bacon and putting them in the fridge so that we can have a fast breakfast for early mornings.  I'll let you know!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holiday World 2011!

Holiday World 2011!

Baby # 6

Baby # 6
Welcome to the world and welcome to our crazy family!

Fort Benning

Fort Benning
We finally made it to Georgia!!!


Just a day at the park!

Just a day at the park!

My Hero!

My Hero!
I don't do dead things. Fortunately for me, God gave me boys!

Much awaited 2009 PJs from Daddy!

Much awaited 2009 PJs from Daddy!
Daddy and Grandma make Jammies every year for the kids, They love it!

Christmas in PJs

Christmas in PJs
Don't I just have the cutest kids?

2010 Jammies

2010 Jammies
Once again Daddy pulled it off. They look cute!

Round 2 birthday parties

Round 2 birthday parties
Cake number 1 of 3 done. I am so not an artist, but I think it came out pretty well!

My Girls

My Girls
Borrowed dance clothes, my girls sure look cute.

Couped up

Couped up
More images below showing the children feeling a bit "couped up" from the long winter!

Chickens: Take 2

Chickens: Take 2
Cute chicks!

The robot cake. I am glad my kids' standards aren't as high as mine!

Tree Climbers

Tree Climbers

Summer Fun!

Summer Fun!
Hi Daddy! Hope you are having fun at work!


This one is so bad, I had to label the cake so you would know it's not a cow!

Dressed for Church!

Dressed for Church!
Come as your favorite Bible character night!

Too cute for words!

If the boy wasn't so tall, I could get a picture of his face!


Establishing the pecking order!

Babies!