Friday, February 25, 2011

When I Grow Up

If you ask my kids what they want to be when they grow up, you will get an assortment of answers. One has wanted to be a missionary or perhaps a teacher, maybe a pastry chef. One is convinced he is going to start his own landscaping business. One wants to work in a robot factory (owned by his friend) and design trucks and eventually start his own business making robots and trucks. We have an aspiring ballerina (today at least). And one wants to be a monkey.

As a kid, I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up, aside from a very short stint as an aspiring country singer or police officer, I spent my entire childhood, adolescence and young adult years planning to be a teacher when I grew up. Now here I am, wondering not what I'll be when I grow up, but rather when I will be a grown up.

I remember when I was young there was a show on television called "ThirtySomething". I never watched it, my dad and I both thought it sounded rather ridiculous. I couldn't fathom what the point could possibly be. So? A bunch of people who are "thirty something", what's the point. I'm still not sure what the show was about, but now I think I'm understanding the term at least.

As a child, I planned my life until 25. After that, well, I didn't think about after that. Now I'm after that. My life is nothing like it was at 25, and for that I am thankful. Yet, I still am not sure about this elusive "grown up" that I remember thinking so much about, planning so long for. I don't feel like a grown up. Sure, I'm a mom with 6 kids. I own a house or two. I've had a real job. My husband goes to work and comes home every day. Yet, I am not sure I'm quite ready to be considered a grown up.

My husband began considering a possible job change. My first thought was, "Uh, that's a grown up job. We aren't ready for that!" Now, mind you, my husband has a nice job now doing IT work; I'm not disparaging my husband or his work, but we both realize that the possible change would be grown up stuff.

Recently, we met with a gentleman to drill us a new well. This man is my age. What business does he have drilling wells? That's grown up stuff!

Then, out of the blue, my dad calls and asks me to do his taxes. Does that make me a grown up?

All of this really begs the question "Is there really such a thing as this elusive term 'grown up'?"

So, dear reader, tell me what does "grown up" mean to you and what do you want to do/be when you grow up?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holiday World 2011!

Holiday World 2011!

Baby # 6

Baby # 6
Welcome to the world and welcome to our crazy family!

Fort Benning

Fort Benning
We finally made it to Georgia!!!


Just a day at the park!

Just a day at the park!

My Hero!

My Hero!
I don't do dead things. Fortunately for me, God gave me boys!

Much awaited 2009 PJs from Daddy!

Much awaited 2009 PJs from Daddy!
Daddy and Grandma make Jammies every year for the kids, They love it!

Christmas in PJs

Christmas in PJs
Don't I just have the cutest kids?

2010 Jammies

2010 Jammies
Once again Daddy pulled it off. They look cute!

Round 2 birthday parties

Round 2 birthday parties
Cake number 1 of 3 done. I am so not an artist, but I think it came out pretty well!

My Girls

My Girls
Borrowed dance clothes, my girls sure look cute.

Couped up

Couped up
More images below showing the children feeling a bit "couped up" from the long winter!

Chickens: Take 2

Chickens: Take 2
Cute chicks!

The robot cake. I am glad my kids' standards aren't as high as mine!

Tree Climbers

Tree Climbers

Summer Fun!

Summer Fun!
Hi Daddy! Hope you are having fun at work!


This one is so bad, I had to label the cake so you would know it's not a cow!

Dressed for Church!

Dressed for Church!
Come as your favorite Bible character night!

Too cute for words!

If the boy wasn't so tall, I could get a picture of his face!


Establishing the pecking order!

Babies!