Thursday, October 4, 2012

Day 3 (and 4) of 31 Days of Peace


Momma's mood, temperament and manner of speech set the environment of the home.  This is a painful reality as I wonder why my children speak so unkindly to one another.  I have, unwittingly, fostered this environment and now, with the help of this 31 day series on peace, I begin the process of changing the verbal and emotional atmosphere of my home.

Ephesians 4:2 -
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
The above verse speaks of being patient, treating each other gently and being humble.  This idea of being humble as related to how we treat one another was new to me.  I hadn't considered that part of the problem lies in our pride, in our belief that we are, in some way, superior to the person toward whom we are behaving poorly.    

But the following verse really impacted me, and I believe my kids as well:
Hebrews 5:2 -
He is able to deal gently with those who are ignorant and are going astray, since he himself is subject to weakness.

Oh, my.  Relating to others in light of the fact that we are weak, fallen creatures who should treat other as gently as perhaps we would like to be treated.  

I realize that I need to employ these verses in my manner and speech more than I expect in that of my children.  How do I speak to them when they are making poor choices, being disruptive or in general annoying me?  

All I need to do to find out is to listen to how they treat one another in the same situation.  Then I see clearly how I have spoken to them for way too long.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holiday World 2011!

Holiday World 2011!

Baby # 6

Baby # 6
Welcome to the world and welcome to our crazy family!

Fort Benning

Fort Benning
We finally made it to Georgia!!!


Just a day at the park!

Just a day at the park!

My Hero!

My Hero!
I don't do dead things. Fortunately for me, God gave me boys!

Much awaited 2009 PJs from Daddy!

Much awaited 2009 PJs from Daddy!
Daddy and Grandma make Jammies every year for the kids, They love it!

Christmas in PJs

Christmas in PJs
Don't I just have the cutest kids?

2010 Jammies

2010 Jammies
Once again Daddy pulled it off. They look cute!

Round 2 birthday parties

Round 2 birthday parties
Cake number 1 of 3 done. I am so not an artist, but I think it came out pretty well!

My Girls

My Girls
Borrowed dance clothes, my girls sure look cute.

Couped up

Couped up
More images below showing the children feeling a bit "couped up" from the long winter!

Chickens: Take 2

Chickens: Take 2
Cute chicks!

The robot cake. I am glad my kids' standards aren't as high as mine!

Tree Climbers

Tree Climbers

Summer Fun!

Summer Fun!
Hi Daddy! Hope you are having fun at work!


This one is so bad, I had to label the cake so you would know it's not a cow!

Dressed for Church!

Dressed for Church!
Come as your favorite Bible character night!

Too cute for words!

If the boy wasn't so tall, I could get a picture of his face!


Establishing the pecking order!

Babies!